Use of force in Bexar County shooting under review

UPDATE: Click here to read Bexar County Sheriff’s Office’s use of force policy. Sheriff Susan Pamerleau has said that the two deputies used a shield and Taser to attempt to detain Gilbert Flores, struggling with him for about 20 minutes before shots were fired.

PREVIOUS POST: The two Bexar County Sheriff’s Office deputies who shot and killed 41-year-old Gilbert Flores both took a “use of force” class last year, according to records released by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement.

DocumentTCOLE also said it had never suspended the peace officer licenses for Robert Sanchez, 51, a 25-year veteran of the department, or Greg Vasquez, 47, who’d been with Bexar County for 12 years.

(View their TCOLE files here: Robert SanchezGreg Vasquez).

Questions about the officers’ use of force were raised by the Federal Bureau of Investigations after a local news station posted a bystander’s video that appears to show Flores holding up at least one hand while being shot.

Local officials like County Judge Nelson Wolff have also brought up the issue. Vasquez and Sanchez were responding to a domestic disturbance in which two people were wounded, and the sheriff’s office has said they believed Flores was holding a knife.

“I think everybody’s concerned about this, the use of force. We’ve seen so many incidents around the country,” Wolff told The Los Angeles Times on Tuesday. “That’s why we want to review the policy see if there’s a way to strengthen it, increase training.”

One thought on “Use of force in Bexar County shooting under review

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s